Rider Switch is offered at both Disney World and Disneyland and is amazing for those of us with one smaller child and one taller child, or one child who isn’t a fan of the higher “thrill” level rides.
Here’s how rider swap works.
- Bring your entire party to the Cast Member at the FASTPASS (FP) entrance of the desired attraction.
- The guest waiting with the guest(s) not riding in the first group will get a FP from the Cast Member.
- First group goes into the stand-by line and rides the ride.
- After riding, the groups will meet back up and the group who rode already will take over supervising the guest that cannot (or doesn’t want to) ride.
- The guest that waited can now go to the FP entrance for the attraction, and he/she can bring up to 2 other people with to redeem the rider switch FP.
The FP that is given, acts as though all guests waited in line to begin with. For example, if the stand-by line says the wait time is 30 minutes and your party gets in line at 9am, the FP will be from 9:30-10:30am. So it’s as if the party that stayed out of line to supervise the younger child already “waited” in line for 30 minutes since their FP doesn’t start for those 30 minutes.
This is amazing when it comes to families like mine with at least one child younger child and an older child. The older child gets to ride the ride twice in a row because the parent who waited with the younger/smaller child now has the FP and can bring the bigger child on the ride again with them! My son loves this, and will definitely be bummed to not get to ride twice when his sister is tall enough to join us and we don’t need to use Rider Switch. He’ll only get to ride once like everyone else (rough life).
Below is a list of rides by park that offer the Rider Switch option.
- Big Thunder Mountain
- Gadget’s Go Coaster
- Hyperspace Mountain
- Indiana Jones Adventure
- Matterhorn Bobsleds
- Millenium Falcon: Smugglers Run
- Splash Mountain
- Star Tours – The Adventure Continues
Disney California Adventure
- Goofy’s Sky School
- Grizzly River Run
- Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT
- Jumpin’ Jellyfish
- Luigi’s Rollickin’ Roadsters
- Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree
- Radiator Springs Racers
- Silly Symphony Swings
- Soarin’ Around the World